Monday, August 28, 2006

The Begining

Something is coming. Something big. A revolution.

Perhaps not a revolution in the ‘overthrow the government’ sort of meaning (although that may be a positive change). But a revolution in the cultural sense. Perhaps movement is a better term.

These may sound like the words of a fringe lunatic, but as much as we like to deny it, revolutions do happen. And it has been much too long since we have had one.

The last real revolutions (or movements) as I see them were hip hop and punk. Both of these brought with them not only music, but art, entertainment, political and social issues, and a change in lifestyle and thought. They offered something very counter to the mainstream culture, something revolutionary. However the big money machine that is America slowly absorbed these movements into the main stream. Now it is no longer strange or offensive to see someone with their hair dyed, lip pierced, or wearing dreadlocks. The prevalence of “pop punk”, Hot Topic, and suburban thugs is evidence that these movements are dead. As much as I love punk music and philosophy, I must recognize that it is no longer the fringe counter culture movement that it once was.

So where does that leave us? Hip hop and punk were products of the 80’s. The 90’s offered nothing but the warmed over bastardized version of these movements. People of my generation (around college age) were too young to become involved with these movements when they were really making an impact. My question is to you is, what has our generation offered? Where are our great artists/musicians/writers/thinkers/activists? What have we done or offered that is worthwhile? I say that we are a generation of late bloomers, distracted by the products and mindsets marketed to us. I say that it’s time for us to do something, to really make a mark. It’s time for us to stop being afraid of the real world and to get in there and claim it as our own. It’s time to fuck shit up.

I believe that I am not the only one dissatisfied with our current culture. I believe that I am not the only one longing for a change. However, I’m at a loss for where to start. I say the word revolution, but I don’t know what it looks like. I don’t know what its philosophy or social goals are. As an artist, I don’t know its aesthetic. This is something I have been contemplating for a long time now, and this blog is a means to get these thoughts out. It’s a way for me to sort through my own ideas of what the revolution should be. But also it’s a way to get you, dear reader, engaged in the process. Think about these things, and tell me what you think. What does the revolution look like to you? What do you think should be important about it? Do you know of some movement that already exists out there that is what I am looking for? I’ve created a forum, so please, really think about your answers to these questions, and anything that I post. Talk about it. Generate conversation in real life outside of the intardweb.

I have a lot more that I have written on this topic, but I think that this first post is necessary to introduce you to my line of thinking. You may think that I’m crazy, but society is never stagnant. Something will come along. And I want to be part of it. How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home